Road to Fame
Shortly after the end of
As of 2004 the Olsen twins are popular figures in today's pre-teen market, following along the lines of such Hollywood child stars as Shirley Temple, Ron Howard and Macaulay Culkin among others.
They starred in The Adventures of Mary-Kate and Ashley and the ABC show Two of a Kind (now rerun on ABC Family), as well as ABC Family's So Little Time.
1994) (cameo appearance)
- It Takes
1995) - The only film in which they don't play sisters.
- New York
Made for TV:
- How the
West Was Fun
House We Go
To Paris (
- Our Lips
Are Sealed (
in the Sun (
- When In
They also have a new book series named Mary-Kate And Ashley In Action, where they are portrayed as secret spies, and has since been made into an animated series.
The film New York Minute was released to critical and commercial failure and ultimately became a box office bomb.
Trivia for The Olsen Twins
May 21, 2004, when her brakes failed on a jammed Los Angeles freeway, and she could not stop in time to avoid crashing into his car. No one was injured in the accident.
June 22, 2004, it was revealed that Mary-Kate had entered a rehabilitation program for the eating disorder anorexia nervosa. Gossip had swirled for months that her appearance was more and more drawn, but the actress and her management refused to discuss the issue. She herself had poked fun at the rumors on an episode of Saturday Night Live, which she had hosted with Ashley. In this episode, Ashley, posing as a photographer, yelled to "Mary-Kate", "You're too skinny! Eat a sandwich!!"
- Rumors started swirling that Mary-Kate had also attempted suicide, the headlines accompanied by a photograph of a scar on her wrist.
- It was reported, on July 7, that the Olsens' participation in the Got Milk campaign would be cancelled, mainly due to Mary-Kate's illness. The ad in which they would have appeared read, in part: "we want our fans to be healthy".
- The same day, rumors began to spring that Mary-Kate Olsen was rehabilitating for a cocaine addiction, contrary to the previous rumors of her having anorexia.
- The Strange Truth About Twins questions the supposed fact that they are fraternal twins, citing that just because they are different-handed, doesn't mean they have different genetics.
- They are currently studying at New York University at the Gallatin School of Individualized Study.
- In February of 2005, Ashley Olsen was featured on the cover of National Enquirer, a gossip magazine that claimed that she was using drugs. Ashley Olsen announced on February 16 that she was suing the company for about 40 million dollars for making that claim.
- The two are currently (as of March 2005) going through some turmoil, living separately and hardly seeing each other, at least until their apartment is finished. Both are doing internships for credit, Mary-Kate with photographer Annie Leibovitz, and Ashley with fashion designer, Zac Posen.
- The twins
star on the
Walk of Fame
2004. They are reported to be worth $150 million each.
- In the episode of Family Guy "Fifteen Minutes of Shame", the Olsen twins replaced Brian and Stewie in the show-within-a-show The Real Live Griffins.
Who is who
A popular allegation among fans, albeit without reliable scientific confirmation, is that, although over a billion people are acquainted with the image of the Olsen twins, fewer than 400 can actually tell them apart. Some known differences:
|Height||1.58m / 5'2"||1.55m / 5'1"|
|Eye Color||Blue||Blue, but with tinge of green|
|Age difference (3 minutes)||Older||Younger|
|Facial structure||Oval face||Rounder face|
Though both have become style icons, Mary-Kate dresses more boho- (also called homeless-)chic, while Ashley is more conventionally stylish. Both are known for wearing a large number of accessories, and large sunglasses.